Best Back Massagers of 2019
A sedentary lifestyle has become one of the leading causes of chronic health conditions. Among the growing list of conditions, chronic back pain is one of the most common reasons for visiting a doctor. Back pain may seem unprovoked, but there are various underlying reasons which can lead to discomfort in the spinal, lumbar or cervical spines. Two of the most common causes of back pain can be found in the average person's daily life: sleeping in an awkward position, and sitting for long hours.
Owning a massage tool can provide the comfort of immediate relief when you need it, without the cost, time, and stress of making an appointment with a massage or physical therapist. Incorporating a small massage tool routine can help alleviate existing pain, improve blood circulation, reduce muscle tension, and provide preventive therapeutic treatment to help stave off crippling health problems for a lifetime.
Here's a quick look at are some of the best back massagers available in 2019:
- Adjustable flaps
- Air massage function
- Three intensity variations
- Cordless and rechargeable
- 3600 pulses per minute
- Simple 4 button control
- 10 vibration massage nodes
- 4 massage zones
- 5 programmable massage modes
- Lightweight and portable
- Poster and instructions included
- Washable/detachable flaps
- Convenient design
- Various massage options with included heads
- Easy storage
- Auto-Off feature
- S-shaped design can reach any area
- No power required
- Convenient to use and store
- Difficult to transport
- Limited to 2 areas
- Weight can quickly wear out arms
- Must be charged
- Short reach hinders massage capabilities
- Plush fabric can ruin over time
- Overall weaker massage
- May require short adjustment period
Shape and construction, massage type, functionality, and weight should be the main deciding factors when looking for a tool that fits your lifestyle.
Shape and Construction
The construction and shape of a back massager directly impacts how it can be used. It's important to be realistic about which type of tool you can foreseeably incorporate into your lifestyle. Generally, back massagers are equipped with rollers for the back, and vibration motors for the neck and spine. Models with massage nodes and spikes are meant for a more relaxing and rejuvenating massage. The more rollers, spines, and motors a massager has, the larger area it will cover with less targeted relief . Chair massage models can be convenient because they're designed for a sitting massage - leaving you hands-free and able to freely work. Cane and handheld models are best for pin-pointing areas that need deep tension relief, and can apply more force than most other models, with the former being able to withstand virtually any exertion of pressure.
Most massagers are designed to reduce tension in your back and lumbar zone, but some models are multi-functional and can be used for massaging your neck, shoulders, and even legs.
Having a brief understanding of massage techniques can help in picking the right tool for your body’s needs.
- Shiatsu: Based on massaging with fingers and thumbs. Helps to eliminate stress and muscle fatigue for a feeling of complete relaxation.
- Rolling: Most effective for people engaged in intense physical activity. Rotating movements can restore muscular activity and encourage elasticity in back muscles.
- Vibration: Improves blood circulation, blood supply, and mobility of neck and back muscles. Enriches oxygen by increasing blood flow, improves vital actions, and reduces overall fatigue..
- Heated: Encourages faster muscle recovery and elasticity, provides soothing relaxing effect, and enhances blood circulation.
- Acupressure: Targets zones on the back and neck by with spikes. Restores blood circulation and is useful for both sensory endings and total relaxation.
Functionality and Weight
The functionality of a tool is dependent on its requirements to be used and maintained. An electric massager will need to be plugged into a wall outlet or charged before it can be used. While they're highly-functional, maintenance can be extreme and require prior knowledge of electronics or maintenance fees, unless they're under warranty. Handheld massagers are basic yet practical because they aren't restrained to an outlet, and often require little to no maintenance. Depending on your upper body strength, the weight of a handheld massager will affect the duration of a massage. If you're planning on purchasing a handheld tool, it is recommended to find one that can be comfortably supported, without muscle strain, for a reasonable amount of time.
Comfier Shiatsu Neck & Back Massager
Shape and Construction
Renpho Rechargeable Handheld Massager
Fitted with 5 interchangeable nozzles: 3-sphere massaging node to cover large zones of your back, pin-point massaging node to alleviate deep tension, curved head for limbs, and a round head for an everyday massage.
Effortlessly targets areas on the neck and shoulder, and can even reach the hard to reach area between your shoulder blades. The vibrations ease muscle tension while simultaneously improving circulation.
Fits comfortably in your hands, making targeting areas in need simple and effective. The cordless design allows for ease of use at any time.